Friday, September 12, 2014

I almost did something stupid

The last few weeks there's been a lot of "What am I doing?" going through my head. Let's stick to the athletic "what am I doing?"s, shall we?

I love triathlon. I really do. I've made a lot of amazing friends that I've been lucky enough to hang out with in-person (mostly in Kona so helllllloooooooo... awesome) and the training itself is made for an overuse injury whore like myself - love me some cross training! So with 70.3 Worlds just around the corner as I got my groove back, of course I got the itch.

I started to look at what the "local" 70.3s are and got reminded that Victoria is a branded event next year. That race has been around for many years and is awesome. I got a little buzz going, especially with early registration discounts. My penny pinching ways were confused... Register now and get that discount! Don't register for a race a year away, idiot! DISCOUNT! Don't do it! It's tough being in my brain.

Then Worlds happened. Insert paragraph here about all the drafting at Worlds talk over the past few days since the race. Ugh. Discouraging, to say the least. I will talk no more of it, but... cheaters suck. And why are there so many?

Anyway.

I got a bit discouraged about it and then someone posted on Instagram that they had registered for Vic. Eeeps! Me too! I wanna too! And I almost did, but something told me not to.

The next morning, this shows up in my inbox:
I don't believe in signs, but COME ON.

It's probably the fact that I'm planning a work trip next month that will cost me about $3,000 and that I have over $7,000 invested somewhere else that is contributing my penny pincher ways, but the cost of triathlon just seems over the top for me at this point. I seriously have no idea how y'all afford the sport! Though, I'm learning more and more that people use their credit cards. A lot. (stop it)

I've got another plan for next year that still involves lots of local racing within a really fun, supportive athletic community so I'm glad I didn't register for Vic.

Yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? SAY IT!